The following are requirements/guidelines for plan submission and review process of the Boundary Review Committee:
- In order to be considered by the Boundary Review Committee, proposed redistricting plans must be received (through Internet transmission, mail, or personal delivery) by 5:00 P.M. on June 2, 2011.
- Plans submitted to the County will be reviewed for accuracy of data and conformance with legal requirements. Unless there are unusual circumstances, County analysis of submitted plans using the County-provided redistricting software will be completed in three business days. NOTE: Plans submitted not using the County’s redistricting software may take longer than three business days, but no more than ten business days, depending on submitted content.
- Proposers may resubmit plans that have been revised as a result of a County analysis. However, resubmittals are subject to the June 2, 2011 deadline. Therefore, any original submissions must be received in sufficient time to allow for review, revision, and resubmission. Any initial plans submitted after May 30, 2011 may not be analyzed nor returned for resubmission because of time constraints.
- Plans submitted to the County are subject to the deliberations of the Boundary Review Committee and may be revised or modified as the Committee deems appropriate. Proposers may request to rescind submitted plans, which will be recorded and reported to the Committee. However, any plans submitted will remain available for Committee consideration.
- Plans must be submitted seven business days in advance of a scheduled Boundary Review Committee meeting in order to be properly noticed, reviewed, and placed on the Committee’s agenda. Plans submitted at a meeting of the Boundary Review Committee cannot be considered at the meeting.
- All plans submitted to the Boundary Review Committee will be made available for public review after a reasonable time following submittal.
- Boundary Review Committee will hold public hearings during their regular sessions, for the purpose of public input on communities of interest, any submitted redistricting proposal(s), and the general goals of the redistricting process. All interested person are encouraged to participate.
- Specific plans may be considered at Boundary Review Committee meetings. Proposers may wish to attend the meetings and testify on their plans. Attendance by proposers however, is not required.
Plans may be submitted in the following ways:
- Utilizing the County’s redistricting software. The software allows the user to submit their plans electronically. Before proceeding to the redistricting software, be sure to click here for a description of the layers and data fields used.
As part of the proposed plan submission, you will be asked, but are not required to, answer the following questions below. Please compose the answers to these questions and save it on your computer or thumb/flash drive, then cut and paste them into the electronic form when you’re ready to submit your proposed plan.
→ The main objectives of the proposed plan are…
→ Plan provides fair and effective representation by…
→ Plan enhances opportunity for all voters by…
→ Plan meets all requirements of law by…
→ Optional additional comments are…
You will be asked to create a unique username in order to use the redistricting software. You may wish to create a unique username that is difficult to guess because the software’s search feature allows other users to identify usernames for plan sharing purposes.
Click here for a schedule of online training sessions for the redistricting software.
ENTER THE COUNTY’S REDISTRICTING SOFTWARE
- If not using the County-provided redistricting software, the proposer must submit a plan by completing the following documents:
→ Proposed Redistricting Plan Submittal Form
→ Proposed Supervisorial boundaries (paper or on electronic media)
→ Map indicating the proposed Supervisorial boundaries
The above documents may be submitted electronically to email@example.com, or hard copies may be delivered to the following address:
Executive Office of the Board of Supervisors
Kenneth Hahn Hall of Administration
500 West Temple Street. Room 383
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Attention: Commission Services
Data sets compiled by the County for redistricting can be downloaded here. Please note that proposed plans not submitted using the County’s redistricting software may require additional time for County staff to perform analyses and/or conversion. Questions regarding submitting a proposed plan using this method should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.